Jews of India
Sir Martin Gilbert:
“The Jews of India, unlike those of China , did not become a forgotten people, not did they lose their knowledge of basic Judaism. Instead, in each generation, they retained sufficient elements of Judaism to enable them, in this century, to constitute one of the more important Jewish communities of the world. Numbering more than 300,000, they formed one of the more vigorous groups which, after 1948, contributed to the ‘ingathering of the exiles' in the newly formed State of Israel.”
(p.140, Martin Gilbert, Letters to Auntie Fori, 2002).
“Despite their microscopic numbers, the Jews of India form an integral part of their country's heritage and as their story – especially their lack of exposure to anti-Semitism- becomes more widely known, India 's reputation for tolerance has grown. Members of all three Jewish communities, the Bene Israel, the Cochin Jews, and the Baghdadi Jews, have made important contributions to their country and have achieved prominence in a number of fields.”
(p.111 Shalva Weil (ed.), India 's Jewish Heritage: Ritual, Art, and Life-Cycle., 2002).
- Indian Responses to Israel's Gaza Operations
- The Indian Jewish Association mourns the loss of our supporter, General Jack Jacob. Shortly after our formation, General Jacob spoke at a fund-raising lunch for us in Delhi, and though retired from public life continued to support us in other ways. ‘May the Almighty comfort his family amongst the mourners of Zion and Jerusalem’.
- 'Mai - Boli' - The Marathi Jews convention in Israel (PDF 1.75 MB)
- 'The Jews of Gujarat', Asian Voice article, By Vishnu Pandya (PDF 558 KB)
- 'Out of India', Sophie Judah's stories chronicle a vanishing tribe, by Amy Rosenberg (PDF 77 KB)
- 'Indian Jewish Association endeavours to build religious bridges', Asian Voice article, 7 April 2007 (PDF 1 Mb)
- Declaration of Mutual Understanding & Cooperation from the first Jewish Hindu Leadership Summit (PDF 361 KB)
- Nathan Katz - "The Jews, India and Israel" (PDF 2.5 Mb)
- Zaki Cooper - "Tolerance, integration and kosher curry" (PDF 24Kb)
- Dina Kraft - Israel will soon welcome from India descendants of a ‘lost’ Jewish tribe (PDF 17Kb)
- Lord Bhattacharyya's speech to the Birmingham Civic Society (PDF 83 Kb)
- Declaration of the Second Hindu-Jewish Leadership Summit (PDF 141KB)
- We Must Do More to Help Others - Judge (PDF 133KB)
- The Maturation of Indo-Israeli Ties (PDF 1MB)
- Jewish community in Maharashtra to get minority status
- Indian state grants minority status to Jewish community